We CAN be here in 200 years!

Andrew Murgas murgasa at sls.lib.il.us
Tue Feb 18 12:48:29 EST 1997

The Internet is probably one of the largest known sources of
data available to the public in History. Storing data and making sense
of it [aka organizing it for accessibility, etc.] has been what Libraries
have done best for centuries. It would be a shame to waste that expertise
especially when it is sorely needed on the Internet the most. I think
there will always be a purpose.

Besides, I don't see closing down all libraries
because of Internet access ; there is something about holding that book in
your hand and reading it that just can't be substituted with internet access.
There will hopefully ALWAYS be a need for that.

Humanity truly needs the time to catch up with the technology it created,
but I hold a belief that the wisdom that is needed will come in time.

[get off soapbox, brush off soap, exit stage left.]

Andrew R. Murgas
Suburban Library System
murgasa at sls.lib.il.us
"Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness" - GR