[WEB4LIB] Re: Using Dreamweaver

Stu Baker stubaker at northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:46:09 EST 2001

2 years ago we revamped all of our sites using Dreamweaver as the
tool to build it. We used Templates and library objects within
Dreamwever as well as server-side includes, CSS. As part of the
process we revamped our server infrastructure to have a "stage" where
web content creators could work on the sites.

We have detailed this a bit at :
<http://staffweb.library.northwestern.edu/redesign/NULWebPub.pdf>
and
<http://staffweb.library.northwestern.edu/redesign/index.html>

The template thing worked very well within its limitations. We often
had to "detach" from the templates to build CGI and database driven
sites since you can't mess with stuff outside of the template tags
too much. We also had to do some specific training for staff using
Metatags which don't work real well in Dreamweaver templates unless
you know the workaround to their bug (which they seem to feel is a
feature). I would read the page at
<http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/template_considerations.htm>
for more on these types of issues.

Has it stood the test of time? The question of revamping a site using
Dreamweaver vs maintaining it with Dreamweaver needs to be asked.

We had a lot of junk we were trying to standardize when we started
with Dreamweaver several years. It was a tough at times because we
were also changing the way we were doing web publishing, not just the
software. Once we re-fitted the site with Dreamweaver maintaining it
has been a real easy task. Almost 2 years into the process we are
very happy with our decision to use Dreamweaver, speaking as a
webmaster and for our staff.

--
----
Stu Baker	#!/Library Management Systems @ Northwestern University Library