[WEB4LIB] Creating local content for web

bob frasier RL-Frasier at wiu.edu
Wed May 23 10:33:57 EDT 2001

I'm moving some records systems that were originally created in Access to a
MySQL database - I don't think there was much thought in selecting Access other
than that the University has a site license & it was readily available. The
motive for the change are essentially those that you mention. MySQL seems to
handle everything that I've needed.

I've switched from Perl DBI to PHP to build the web pages that access the MySQL
database. PHP seems to work so well with web based documents and has a number of
handy functions to interact with MySQL. It is relatively painless to build a
user interface that has the look and feel of your library pages.

There are a number of other possible approaches - but this seems to be a good
solution for us.

Bob Frasier
Western Illinois University