[Web4lib] Wikis vs blogs

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:11:07 EDT 2007

Since we have implemented both blogs and wikis for Library staff use, we have run into this problem often.  These tools are quite different regarding communication modes and therefore do not work well for all roles.  Here's a brief list that I use to decide on which tool to use:
-- Synchronous communication: Chat or VoIP
-- Near-synchronous: Email
-- Asynchronous and topical: Discussion forum
-- Asynchronous and primarily, but not solely, one-way: Blogs
-- Asynchronous and solely one-way: Private blogs
-- Collaborative Web site but not necessarily for communication: wikis

Blogs are not real good for true discussions...Discussion Forums (remember online bulletin boards) are much better at that.  Blogs are good for regularly posting announcement-type info (alerts, links, funny stories, assignments, etc.), while allowing others to comment.  This could be useful for "peer-reviews" of assignments, particularly related to creative writing or critical thinking.

Wikis are even worse for communication than blogs.  Wikis are much more appropriate for one-way archives, like policies, instruction, lessons, or a collaboratively-developed paper or presentation. Consider wikis to be more like a standard web site, but more flexible.  Blogs can also serve as a Web site, but not as easily.

Of course, if you want a true online community where your users can contribute as much as they read, then a social network like Ning or MySpace/Facebook may be better.  These provide all sorts of features, including feeds, blog-like announcements, discussion forum, etc.

MovableType is an excellent blogging system and their latest release (MTv4) is awesome.  We've been using MT and we hope to upgrade to MT4 for our public blogs soon.  We have used PBWiki for our internal policies & procedures with great success.  But my favorite tool is Ning, because it's got so many features.  But each is a different tool and there is no one-size-fits-all.

Hope this helps.

Karen R. Harker, MLS, MPH
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-8946
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/library/

>>> On 9/14/07 at 10:51 AM, in message <cbd6b5290709140851k41b24d8co5dc2e19054512019 at mail.gmail.com>, "Kristen Shea" <khollyshea at gmail.com> wrote:
   Hello all,
      Since everyone was extremely useful yesterday in answering my question
about ESL programs. I greatly appreciate everyone taking time out of their
busy schedules to respond.
      My next thing that I'm trying to decide on is the best method of
communicating with the students, besides e-mail. I was thinking that the
wiki would be cool and innovative but I do worry about the students erasing
comments or things like that. With a blog, I could make posts about various
ideas/events but I'm not sure if that would necessarily initiate
communication/talk with the student body. Does anyone have experience with
either of these mediums? If so, what were the pros and cons of the different
forms of media you used? Also, if you used wiki or blog, which software did
you use?
       Thank you very much! I would greatly appreciate everyone's imput!
                       Kristen Shea